Each year, since 1959, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has funded the production of a free holiday celebration at The Music Center on December 24. Community and professional choirs, music ensembles and dance companies representing the diverse cultures and holiday traditions of the County perform at The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. The program is also broadcast live on local public television and rebroadcast on Christmas Day, via livestream and on social channels. Thousands attend the program in person, and about half million Southern Californian households tune into the live broadcast.
This year, the 59th Annual L.A. County Holiday Celebration will be held Monday, December 24, 2018, from 3:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. The program will be televised live on local public television. Both the event and parking are free to the public.
Who is eligible for the Holiday Celebration?
- Groups must be based in Los Angeles County and can provide proof if requested.
- Groups must fit one of the three appropriate performance categories: Vocal or Music Ensemble, and Dance.
- Must be suitable for an all-ages crowd.
- Group Leader must be over the age of 18.
Groups will be reviewed and selected based on the following selection criteria:
- Artistic excellence.
- Suitability for the Holiday Celebration.
(Suitability to the programming of a multi-cultural, multi-denominational program, quality of performance scaled for a large sized venue, appropriateness for an all-ages crowd)
You must complete all required fields to the best of your ability. Applicants will be reviewed and selected only on the material provided. We want to see you put your best foot forward.
All applicants are required to submit supporting documentation with their application. Supporting material must be digitally uploaded. Hard copies of documents/photos, CDs or DVDs will not be accepted.
Work Sample – All applicants must submit one digital video or audio work sample to be considered for the program. This sample must be:
- 3 minutes max.
- Recorded within the past 12 months.
- Unedited. No montages or excerpts.
We want to see material that demonstrates your group’s best work. All performance samples should be of the highest quality possible. This is the most important part of the application.
- Group Photo – Please submit one photo of your group.
- Taken within the past 12 months.
- High resolution and in focus (300dpi)
- Must be an original digital photo. Copies of printed images, still images from videos, and screenshots are not acceptable.
Expectations if selected:
- If selected for the Holiday Celebration, groups will be:
- Assigned performance times ranging from 3-6 minutes in length.
- Must be able and willing to adapt performance length to suit the time constraints of a live broadcast.
- Required to attend and participate in a one-hour rehearsal on 11/17/2018.
- Assigned a mandatory Spacing Rehearsal or Soundcheck time. The spacing rehearsal will be on 12/22 and soundcheck will be on 12/23 or the morning of the show. Timeslots will be assigned closer to the date.
- If selected Group leaders are responsible for:
- Communicating with Music Center Staff in a timely manner.
- Completing all required financial and production related documents.
- (If leader of a children’s group) Distributing Parent Tickets for performers who are under the age of sixteen.
- Ensuring every member of group signs a completed TV Release.
TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION YOU MUST REGISTER AN ACCOUNT AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE.